Tuesday, April 30, 2013

If this were my last day...

I think I would see things differently.

The sky might seem bluer, the clouds whiter, all woven into a beautiful, drifting veil between my soul and the unending beyond.

Perhaps sunlight dancing through the leaves would throw cascades of gold through the air; a cacophony of shattered lights and shadows across walls and streets and the millions of now-amazing blades of green that I had blindly trodden upon the day before, all caught up in a rush to get somewhere else.

A child's laughter would likely be more beautiful than any symphony, and perhaps I would see in their eyes the sparkle of excited anticipation of a fellow traveler still new to their own journey - beautiful eyes that still saw things for the first time ever.

Perhaps the whe wind would be a caress, and water an embrace. Each breath in my lungs may seem a treasure, held briefly then released, as though it were never really mine to begin with.

The smile of a friend could crash through the now useless walls of fear and shame, delivering itself as a silent reminder that they found value in my company, loved me as best they were able, and were thankful that our paths had touched.

Were this my last day I might, for a moment, consider all of the things I had never managed to do or see, and perhaps feel a shadow of regret...

But it would be dwarfed by the anticipation of the fulfillment of a promise: "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him..."

If this were my last day, perhaps I would see more clearly the crystalline beauty of an incredibly ancient work of art that is, for now, partially obscured beneath crude layers of corruption, pain and death.

Were this my last day, I think I might feel the presence of my own soul and finally have to admit that, in the grand view, I have no more control over my beginning and end than a dandelion tuft floating on the wind can decide where it will fall...

Yet I would take great comfort in knowing that The Wind knows my name.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the way you write. Easy to read and follow. A good flow. This entry inspires me to try to live like it's my last day. (Dont laugh, I have other inspirations as well,lol!)Your observations are fresh and reassuring in their own way and I like them. So there!